Tuesday, January 23, 2018









Dream Journey #1 

"Dreams are seeds of possibility planted in your soul, calling you to pursue a unique path to the realization of your purpose." -John Maxwell

A couple of years ago while I was studying in California, one of our assignments was to write down at least 50 dreams. I thought the assignment was completely crazy then. Nobody had challenged or encouraged me to dream before that. I remember I had some dreams in the back of my mind since I was a young kid, but I never dared to dream big. Why I am telling you the following story, is because I believe we all have had dreams inside of us already when we were small. What were you dreaming of when you were little? What were the things you enjoyed doing in your childhood? Maybe they point out to your dreams.

When I was a little girl, my mom took me to a Conservatory to play instruments. For some weird reason I ended up playing drums and I didn´t really like it, but I wanted to please my mom(fear of man..! Read my last post and you´ll know what I mean by that). It seemed so important for her, so I continued. I didn´t want to let her down. One time I hand´t practiced at all and wouldn´t it be, my teacher smelled like he had been drinking vodka for many days in a row... you can only imagine how a little girl felt by his stinking breath and drunken behavior. After that lesson I wanted to quit, but didn´t have the guts to tell my mom about it. I don´t remember what happened to the teacher not long after the incidence. But I got a new teacher, who was really cool. I got inspired by him and because of his enthusiasm I kept going there. Sadly, that teacher died in cancer. After that, I got offered to change my instrument to piano, which I actually had always wanted to play. So I started to take piano lessons. During those years of classical training, I also started to play the piano spontaneously and compose my own songs. That was what I loved to do. I loved to flow and I still do. And even with the negative experiences, without them, I wouldn´t be the same. They also shaped me to be who I am today.

Later on growing up I started to write my own songs and my dream was to make music one day. I actually applied to pop&jazz conservatory to study music, but didn´t get in. They only took one there and I knew the person that got in, she was a better fit. I didn´t have pop&jazz theory down at all and I wouldn´t have been ready either. Even though I didn´t get in, the evaluators at the school told me to apply again and continue singing, they told me I had a gift. I never applied there again. Nowadays I don´t even believe you necessarily have to go to a school to learn the things you want to(and don´t get me wrong, for some professions you of course have to get a degree in order to do what you want to). Finland is a very degree-oriented country, but to be excellent in the field of arts, you don´t necessarily need a diploma. It all depends on you, what you want to achieve. Schools can give you opportunities and connections, but if you really want to achieve something especially in the field of arts, a lot does depend on what you are going to do about it yourself. It requires effort. I haven´t recently been actively pursuing this dream of mine, making music, but I´m getting there little by little again. A couple of years ago I released an album and that was one of my dreams coming true! But man...it took a lot of energy, planning, time, money etc. What I´m trying to say, is that everything costs you something and most of the times when pursuing our dreams, there will also be obstacles on the way. Many people turn their backs on their dreams because it may seem too hard to get there. But they don´t realize that every obstacle can also be a wonderful opportunity and I believe we can learn from everything. I guess the better we understand the journey to our dreams and what God is doing in our lives in the midst of it, more unlikely we give up on our dreams.

The people you surround yourself with is a major key to getting where you want to be too. It is vital to find like-minded people/community that you can run with. I want to be an inspiration to the people around me. I believe that every person we encounter, can have a radical impact on our lives(as well as we can radically impact others) and I hope you find those people that inspire you and challenge you to be the best version you can be. Remember, this world needs what you carry inside of you - your dreams to become reality! In the next post I will continue with the Dream Journey and share some practical steps. So stay tuned!

About my outfit! I found this dreamy fur hat from a thrift store and I love it! The dress is from the Other Stories and don´t you agree it goes so well with the hat?! My coat is not real fur, just so you know. ;)

Wishing you a dreamy week!




Intricately yours,

Marjo












Photos by Tim Kiukas

No comments:

Post a Comment